This page will over time develop a list of useful places to find out more about cafe societies, cafe culture and the development of the cafe industry.
I have written a few blog posts highlighting places where I learn about the coffee and coffee shop industries:
- Top 10 books on coffee, cafes and cafe culture
- Coffee Reading in 2017
- Reading about coffee and coffee shops: magazines
- Learning about coffee and coffee shops: websites
- Learning about coffee and coffee shops: Podcasts
- Tjora, A. and Scambler, G. (2014) Café Society. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Clark,T. (2007) Starbucked: A double tall tale of caffeine, commerce, and culture. New York: Little, Brown and Company
- Oldenburg, R. (1999) The Great Good Place: Café’s, Shops, Community Centers, Beauty Parlors, General Stores, Bars, Hangouts and How They Get You Through the Day. New York: Paragon House
- Oldenburg, R. (2001) Celebrating the Third Place: Inspiring Stories about the ‘Great Good Places’ at the Heart of Our Communities. New York: Marlowe
- White, M. (2012) Coffee Life in Japan. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Grant, J. and Perrott, K. (2011) ‘Where is the café? The challenge of making retail uses viable in mixed-use suburban development.’ Urban Studies, 48(1): 177-195.
- Grinshpun, H. (2014) ‘Deconstructing a global commodity: coffee, culture and consumption in Japan’. Journal of Consumer Culture, 14(3) 343-364.
- Kjeldgaard, D. and Ostberg, J. (2007) ‘Coffee Grounds and the Global Cup: Glocal Consumer Culture in Scandinavia’, Consumption, Markets & Culture, 1(2):175-187
- Laurier, E. and Philo, C. (2006) ‘Possible Geographies: a passing encounter in a café’. Area, 38(4): 353-363.
- Laurier, E. (2008a) ‘Drinking up endings: conversational resources of the Café’. Language and Communication, 28(2):181.
- Laurier, E. (2008b) ‘How breakfast happens in the café’. Time & Society, 17(1) 119-143.
- Roseberry, W. (1996). ‘The rise of yuppie coffees and the reimagination of class in the United States’. American Anthropologist, 98:762-775.
- Thompson, C. and Arsel, Z. (2004). ‘The Starbucks brandscape and consumers’ (anticorporate) experiences of glocalization’. Journal of Consumer Research, 31, 631-642
- Waxman, L. (2006). ‘The coffee shop: Social and physical factors influencing place attachment’. Journal of Interior Design, 31: 35-53.
- DCLG (2012) Re-imaging urban spaces to help revitalize our high streets. Department for Communities and Local Government. Available here.
- DCLG (2013) High Street Renewal Fund 2013. London: Department for Communities and Local Government.
- International Coffee Organization (2014) World Coffee Trade (1963-2013) A review of the markets, challenges and opportunities facing the sector. International Coffee Organization. Available here.
- Laurier, E. and Philo, C. (2005) The Cappucino Community: cafés and civic life in the contemporary city. Final Report. ESRC Research Project. Available here.
- Wrigley, N. and Lambiri, D. (2015) British High Streets: From Crisis to Recovery? A Comprehensive Review of the Evidence. Southampton. Economic and Social Research Council. Available here.
- International Coffee Organisation: http://www.ico.org/
- Boughton’s Coffee House: http://www.coffee-house.org.uk/
- Cafe Culture Magazine: http://www.thecafelife.co.uk/
- Sprudge Coffee News and Culture: http://sprudge.com/
- Perfect Daily Grind: http://www.perfectdailygrind.com/
- Brian’s Coffee Spot: http://www.brian-coffee-spot.com/
- European Coffee Trip: http://europeancoffeetrip.com/
- Dear Coffee I Love You: http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/
- FrshGrnd – Coffee & Culture: http://frshgrnd.com/
- Jim Seven: http://www.jimseven.com/
- Prufrock – The blog: http://www.prufrockcoffee.com/the-blog/